*goes to bed at 2am instead of 5am* wow, my life is so in order right now. i’m making such good decisions for myself and my body and my soul and im so in love with myself for doing this
Old painting, new wheatpaste.
In 2011, I began a series of paintings called Victim of American Fear.(The title is from this article by Adam Serwer for The Prospect. As an illustrator, I’m often inspired to create a painting from something I’ve read.)
The series was meant to address the killings of black people that happen when people find themselves afraid of black people just because they are black. Think Trayvon Martin. Think Oscar Grant.
Also think Renisha McBride. If I continue this series, I’ll want to include a black woman.
After the recent killings of more black bodies, I decided to try these paintings out on the street as wheatpastes.
Critiquing my own work, I do think these paintings are a little over-literal, with the gun targets covering the bodies. I don’t mean to be provocative just for the sake of it. But I do think it’s a strong image.
These are pasted in Newark.
'The Dreamtime' Paintings by So Yoon Lym
Model: Haskiri Velazquez
#indigefam #IFAM #ifamfashion ➕PRISMATIC Fashion Show ➕ #nativemodel strutting @kristendorseydesigns ✨check INDIGENOUS FINE ART MARKET FB page for more photos✨#latergram ✨💁photo cred: @sidesquash 👏👏
It’s been so awesome to have so many cool and stylish followers, we here at fyeahindigenousfashion want to say thanks for supporting us and indigenous artists by having our first giveaway! Here’s the rules:
- enter by reblogging this post and following FYIF (if you aren’t already!)
- entries are accepted until midnight, September 25, 2014
- each prize is available individually—there are 6 prizes, so there will be 6 winners total
Our prizes are all authentic and come from indigenous-owned businesses. Because we always strive to celebrate the incredible creative diversity among indigenous peoples, we selected prizes from a wide array of cultures and nations:
- ngatu knockers, SOSS (Tongan)
- flower earrings, Cheyenne Noon (Southern Cheyenne)
- lightning bolt pendant, Urban Native Design Co (Pueblo)
- necklace, Kristin Gentry (Choctaw)
- flower earrings, Huichol Arte (Huichol)
- BearMan earrings, Crystal Worl (Tlingit, Athabascan)
Good luck everyone!!